Friday, June 5, 2009

My thoughts...seeking better spiritual understadning and faith!

OK, let's face it. Religious beliefs can be a divisive subject. They can break apart churches, tear down marriages, hurt friendships, and torment an individual. As a Christian I find myself looking at my religious beliefs constantly and checking them against God's Word (The Bible) and with what I am being taught at my home church. I want to have a strong faith and know what I believe and why. If I cannot explain my beliefs, how can I expect anyone to take them seriously? For those of you Christians out there, you know that we are not going to fully understand all of God's ways. Nor do we have to. Some of the greatness of God is clouded in mystery. It is in this mystery that I long to know more of God!!!

A religious subject that I have come to seek more understanding of and have extreme interest in is spiritual gifts. Prophecy, Tongues, and so forth. I have never spoke in tongues. Believe you me, I desire to so much! I do feel that I have been blessed with the gift of prophecy. It is in what I would call its infant stage. I can look at certain instances that God is slowly preparing me to take on more and more of a prophetic role. This is so exciting to me and I am on the edge of my seat waiting for more and more of the Holy Spirit to fill me.

The spiritual gifts are amazing, exciting, explainable and unexplainable all at the same time. Here's where my thoughts have been lately on the subject. This comes from some curiosities that my wife has had lately. (Insert note here-My wife is an amazing woman of God. I respect her so much for her constant seeking for a better relationship with God and and very discerning spirit!!! She helps balance me and I am so glad we get to take this journey together) I have also had a lot of the same curiosities as she has at some point in my life. Some past and some present. As a Christian, do I question the word of God with my curiosities. I find it important to point out that it is not a questioning of God Himself (to do so can lead down a dangerous path), but a questioning of unclear subjects to gain a better understanding of His ways. Does this devalue my faith in God? Is it okay to question things of God? In devaluing my faith, No! Can I question the things of God, I say Yes!

1 Thessalonians 5:18-22 states-

"in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things, hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil."

A few points I draw from this passage. We are not to quench the spirit. We should not put a stranglehold on what God is trying to do in our lives. We need to be obedient and even when we may not have a full idea of what God is doing, allow Him to blow us away with His perfect plans. The Holy Spirit will not lead us astray. With that known, take that trail with the Spirit.

We also are to test all things. I feel we need to question! Questions are a valid and valuable tool/weapon for us. We need to look at our beliefs and see how they line up. You know what, you may find your beliefs challenged. Good! If my beliefs are challenged with the word of God, I need to take a better look at my beliefs. Put down our pride and see truth! We need to bring forth our questions and seek a better understanding into this Life that God has called us to live. I want to live an on fire, in-tune walk with my Almighty God. I feel that we need to question, seek, better understanding, guard ourselves, or whatever else you want to call it. I believe it will help to strengthen us as believers! We are to hold fast what is good. We need to filter the good from the bad. We need to grasp at the good and sift out the lies and falseness of what Satan would have us to believe. There are a lot of false things in our word. We live in a world that has false prophets, liars, self-serving and downright evil people/spirits. We need to be on our guard so not to fall prey to the lies that they bring. I want to make sure my faith is authentic and I am experiencing the real thing, not some cheap imitation!!! Abstain from every form of evil (this includes evil disguised in good clothing.) We are the sheep and Satan loves to wear his sheep costume!!!


All and all I believe we need to be open to the spirit, but also be wary of things untrue. Do not be afraid to question for the sake of better understanding and for the longing to know more of God. Also know that God will reveal himself to you when you may not even be looking! I feel this issue is great for discussion and can bring us into a better understanding of who we are and who God is shaping us to be. It should not divide or hurt. Talk about it, learn about each others beliefs, and be merciful and compassionate with one another. God did not give us His word to have us quarrel over it. He gave us His word to live by.

I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions on this!!!

We serve an amazing God!!!
Ryan

4 comments:

  1. Oh man. Ryan, I totally agree with you, and am on your side with your view of this. I have super strong viewpoints on the spiritual gifts. My dad told me once after I blew up at this lady (not to her face) who was teaching people how to heal others. I guess it hit a sensitive nerve being a diabetic. I think that the underlying point should not be (as I did so poorly) to argue over who is right and who is wrong. Nor should we be allowing ourselves to be offended (as I clearly was), but rather to seek to be understood. We cannot expect to change people minds, that's the work of the Holy Spirit, we need to communicate our thoughts and convictions biblically, and clearly, so as to be understood, not agreed with. Know what I'm saying?


    I'm glad you're blogging again....I have one coming out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Marty. You are such a great friend and I value your opinion so much!!! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU are a great friend!! I admire you a great deal. Good morrow to you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, I love the man of Christ you are becoming and your viewpoints on these matters. Not only were they good you backed them up with scripture! Your moving forward so much and I cant wait to see you grow in your giftings! I admire you for standing and speaking what you think and your blogs are always so good! Keep writing writing! I like to read them!

    ReplyDelete